our most favourite little holiday place in the world. Yippee!
Saturday, 3 July 2010
Summer days - very full and very busy. But these are special times to be savoured for when the wind is howling around the house.
Later still. although it's not fully dark, the sounds and sights of the summer night drift in through the bedroom window:
- The hiss and drip, drip of next door's hose
- A croaking frog in the border
- The lowing of young bullocks in the field over the road to the dairy herd in the valley field, already laid down to sleep
- Flittering, fluttering pipestrelle bats
- The occasional sleepy twitter from the housemartin chicks in the nest in the eaves above our window
- The rumble and clatter of lots of tractors and trailers and bright orange lights as the farmers bring the June hay home
- A sliver of sparkling moon in the still blue-tinged sky
- Chatter and laughter blown up of the breeze from the canal side pub down the lane
- Beautiful twilight and the first stars peeping awake