Monday 1 November 2010

Over the Hills

Gosh Exmoor is a long way away isn't it? Now we class ourselves as true bumpkins but this land of beautiful, never ending beech hedges, rolling mists and high moorland fields felt a long way from anywhere.

But that was the beauty of it of course. Holed up in our cosy farm cottage with just a few hundred sheep and a thousand cattle for company was very peaceful indeed. The weather was bright and breezy early in the week and we headed down from the hills, through amber valleys to the sea.
Coombe Martin is a very genteel little place with magnificent rocks for boys to scramble over and plenty of caves and rockpools to explore.

Cold nights brought frosty mornings, perfect for taking in the sights, sounds and textures of the little hamlet where we stayed.
 Many coats were hauled down south with us. We could start an outfitters let me tell you!
But the sun came out again and we headed for another genteel place to while away an afternoon; Lynton this time and a trip on the terrifying cliff railway. I didn't take any pictures on our way down because I was holding on far too tightly. I'm such a whimp.
 And when the rain came back we headed back up into the hills, lit the wondrous log burner (now on my Christmas list!) and snuggled in.
More tales of crashing seas and fiery woodlands next time.

18 comments:

Rose H (UK) said...

Looks and sounds like you had a great break :o) The log burner looks VERY welcoming though!
Best wishes
Rose H

...Nina Nixon... said...

Gosh that does look lovely - I can just imagine you curled up infront of the wood burner with your crochet blanket stretched across your lap.

Mmmmmmmm....to Autumn.

Nina xxx

home made gorgeous said...

Sounds like the perfect holiday, the scenery looks beautiful! I like your picture of the raindrops on the window :) Sarah

Anonymous said...

Aw in the school holidays about a hundred years ago my friend and I worked in Lynmouth whilst lodging in Lynton and travelled each day on the cliff railway often saying in a naughty way "Do you remember when this broke last year and plummeted to the ground?"

Of course it never could as it's powered on a push/pull system with water tanks! But it was funny(?) to see the other passengers' faces.

Truly naughty but we were young!

Hazel said...

I never knew Exmoor was like that! Looks amazing - so cosy. I could do with a break like this. x

Justine said...

I enjoyed your post, keep them coming.

busybusybeejay said...

A log burning stove inside,beautiful scenery outside and the family to share it with.Perfection.

Margarida said...

I can't wait to read and see your next post! I'm reading you from Portugal and I must say that it's been a great pleasure to read what you share with us. I wish I could be there!
Love.

VintageVicki said...

Sounds a very cozy & relaxing break :) Coombe Martin is lovely.

Liz said...

We visited Lynmouth and Lynton last week too. Unfortunately for me , my husband decided we should walk up the hill instead of waiting for the little railway! What a steep walk, but good on the way down! What a lovely part of the world!

bellaboo said...

That's just the sort of holiday we love.It's like time has stood still.Only been on one of those cliff railways once..never again! Bet you didn't want to leave that beautiful,peaceful place.

Jenni C's said...

love your photo's, feels like my lunch break has just become longer..

Serenata said...

I love Coombe Martin and Lynton. Looks like you had a wonderful holiday and what a super way to spend the evenings around a log fire.

Frances said...

What a wonderful getaway to a place filled with natures beauty and power.

I do look forward to your next post.

Bobo Bun said...

Looks like a wonderful break Steph. One of the good parts of getting cold is the snuggling up in front of the fire later on. A woodburner's not a bad xmas wish.

X

Julia said...

Oh your pictures are gorgeous!! It looks like you had the best time! Isn't that just one of the nicest parts of the world? Thank you for sharing, sending love
Julia x x x

Rosie said...

We were in that area in September this year. We ventured along the coast to Porlock and then up the hill and down to Lynmouth - I watched the cliff railway going up to Lynton and passing the one coming back down. You are very brave to go on it! Your cottage looks so cosy:)

Madelief said...

Your week in Exmoor sounds great. My husband and I have been there years ago, when the girls had not been born yet. Such a beautiful part of England!

Lieve groet,

Madelief