This week's menu looks like this:
- Monday - Spaghetti & vegetable bolognese
- Tuesday - Chicken (left over from Sunday's roast) & chorizo paella
- Wednesday - Smoked coley, oven chips & peas
- Thursday - Courgette cakes with feta, roast tomatoes stuffed with cous cous
- Friday - Homemade chicken curry (every week, without fail - it's a ritual!)
- Saturday - Stir fried prawns & veg with rice
- Sunday - Roast beef, roast potatoes, greens etc and plum crumble
I rarely do pudding during the week but make sure we have stocked up fruit bowls, plus the odd biscuit and maybe ice cream in the summer. All the meat (mince, ham for sandwiches etc, plus delicious cheese) comes from the butcher, including the small topside roasting joint I buy for less than £5 and should stretch to sandwiches too.
I love this way of shopping, everything in paper bags, minimal waste and time for chat too. On sunny days the cobbled market square is bustling but the showers kept most away today. After the market I head to the bargain supermarket in the town centre to stock up on tins, cereals, pasta/rice, olive oil, cleaning things and the like. In and out of there in 15 mins, no fuss or frills and value too.