Thursday 31 July 2014

Back Home

I love holidays. July, the midway point of the year and all the end of term madness leaves me strung out and desperate for a break, a rest for a while. But coming home is great. I love a little wander around the house, saying hello to all our things, enjoying the prints, paintings and pottery I've collected and the patterns and colour are always such a surprise after the plain walls of a holiday apartment. 
Before the bags are unpacked I'm out in the garden, dead heading and picking a posy for the house to welcome us home. Just one honeysuckle bloom in this little jug has filled the whole sitting room with the scent of summer.

I needed to do a food shop dash to stock us up with essentials after my first day back in the office and couldn't resist these rusty gladioli for less than £2. I haven't seen this shade before and I'm really enjoying the statuesque glamour they bring to the mantle piece. Like most homes our mantle piece is a place to display some special treasures. There's a photo of Woody and me at my sister's royal wedding street party a couple of years ago and a tiny, knitted cottage brooch I love too much to wear. I adore it but have forgotten where I ordered it from so if anyone recognises it please let me know!

The clock is nothing special and replaced a lovely old 1930s dark wooden one that I need to get repaired because it loses time so much. It perches on colourful copies of Tom Brown's School Days and The New Weekend Book I bought in a charity shop for their fantastic covers. The green candlesticks are Royal Doulton, picked up for pennies from the Collector's Market and always have red candles in at Christmas.
Woody is a fan of agate and we have polished stones in different shapes and colours, even some bookends and I really like this smooth, marbled ball. The jug on the right is Polish pottery and was a birthday present from my lovely sister and is one of my very favourite things. 

I grew up with a shelf of Observer books and loved to unwrap them and see their hidden colourful covers. My few of my favourites sit on the shelf here and remind me of my mum and dad and everything they've taught me about wildlife, the sea and the countryside. And there are always cards too, special ones I can't bear to take down that slowly rotate through the year.

And you can't quite see it behind the jug but there's a nursery portrait of our boys when they were tiny wearing fair isle tank tops they'll hate me for one day but their mummy will always love. xx

13 comments:

driftwood said...

a lovely shelf of home treasures. perfect x

LandGirl1980 said...

I love the colourful insides of some hardback books to - in fact - far more than the outside covers :)

isabelle said...

Your house must be lovely to come home to - these photos are gorgeous.

PinkCatJo said...

It looks lovely and so cosy. Sometimes it's so nice to be back home again! x
www.pinkcatcustardandcake.co.uk

Lyn said...

It is nice to get home isn't it? I also love my mantelpiece, a room looks wrong without one.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post Steph, I always say the best part of a holiday is coming home; your home looks so sweet and welcoming no wonder you enjoy it so much. Wishes Simone xx

Wainwright and Wright.Co said...

Your mantlepiece looks very inviting. I think the brooch may be from here http://handknittedthings.blogspot.co.uk/ - I am hoping to knit on too, yours looks very cute!
Caz xx

Ali said...

Thanks for sharing your home looks lovely x

Claire/Just a little less said...

Beautiful pieces with meaning. I think William Morris would be proud of you xo

Leanne said...

Okay third time lucky. I've been thrown out of your necklace post (gorgeous), your holiday post (beautiful), and am hoping this one will work. I am jealous of all mantelpieces, and yours is particularly lovely. I love the wallpaper too!
Leanne xx

Lisa said...

Going away is wonderful, but coming home is better!
Thank you for the tour of your mantel. Such lovely treasures. Those candlesticks remind me of the Denby pottery ones, such a lovely shade of green. I love the Polish pottery. I've got a few bits too, some from the Country Living Fair, some from TK Maxx and even a mini teapot from the car boot for £1!
Lisa x

Lisa said...

Going away is wonderful, but coming home is better!
Thank you for the tour of your mantel. Such lovely treasures. Those candlesticks remind me of the Denby pottery ones, such a lovely shade of green. I love the Polish pottery. I've got a few bits too, some from the Country Living Fair, some from TK Maxx and even a mini teapot from the car boot for £1!
Lisa x

Curlew Country said...

Yeah! Hello Leanne - I am receiving you. Over.

Thanks for persevering, not sure what's gong on? Thanks for the lovely comments. Feel like I've been looking for that wallpaper for years, came across it on a door at my hairdresser in the end. Bingo! Lovely William Morris Marigold in Artichoke. The brick red version is truly outstanding!

Looking forward to catching up with your summer on the road. Enjoy your adventures xxx