Saturday 30 August 2014

Bordering on Perfection


For years I've been meaning to get to Arley Hall to see the legendary long borders in all their glory. When we decided to visit today I did think that maybe we might have missed them past their best. I needn't have worried.
They are truly magnificent; deep, double borders of sumptuous planting that weave tapestries of perennials into a splendid display.


The atmosphere on this grey, late summer's afternoon was languid and precious. Swallows swooped all around us, low to the ground, while giant blue and green dragonflies chased about. 

There's still much more colour to come in the long borders, plenty of asters coming into bloom which I completely love so I might just have to pop back again soon.

Late summer colour can be a real challenge in the garden but at Arley Hall they know keep the colour going right through the year. It's a style of planting I really love, late summer might just be my favourite time for flowers, and there was so much to inspire today. 

Do you love a late summer garden?

And finally a huge thank you for all the lovely comments lately. I hugely appreciate them and Archie was chuffed to bits with all the kind birthday wishes. I'm trying to reply as often as I can via the comments form so if you click "notify" I think that means you get my reply by email. Hope so. Its great catching up on and discovering some beautiful blogs too. xxx

(*iphone pics today as my camera battery died. It was very breezy too so apologies for some blurriness! You can see more pics on my Instagram feed. Click the camera icon above my profile pic.)

p..s I'm finding that viewing my blog on ipad in mobile mode makes the pictures do very strange things! If that's happening to you, try viewing in web version and that seems to fix it?

15 comments:

Alison said...

Fantastic borders indeed, I wish my garden looked like that. Especially enjoyable to wander round and appreciate knowing that you haven't got to do all the weeding, hehe. X

Karen said...

Lovely pictures. I love a late summer garden too and must try harder with ours next year. Wish it looked even a little like this.

**Anne** said...

This garden is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
Anne xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph,
The borders are lovely! Yes, I think i really love the asters and daisies of fall.

Carrie xx
www.mosswoodmusings365.blogspot.com

Leanne said...

Be still my beating heart. Gorgeous! There's such inspiration in a place like this. I love asters too, but have none in my garden, so they will go on my lust list.
Leanne xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful colours, and I love a walled garden. It looks very similar to Beninborough Hall near York that we visited over summer - your post has brought back happy memories.
x

LandGirl1980 said...

OOOH! I do love me a good border!

Emma @ notesfromtheeastcoastblog.blogspot.co.uk said...

These look gorgeous. We've visited quite a few gardens recently and I've been torn between thinking 'what has my life come to' and, at the same time, 'these are lovely, I'll just take some more photos and then find the tea room'.....

Anonymous said...

I look at those lovely photo's and think "one day....one day". England is on my bucket list.

Tea with Prudence said...

Hi Steph,
I havent been here in a while, so not sure how long you have had your header image up, but I love it. We are heading into Spring out here in Oz, thankfully and the freshness of the images is stirring up anticipation to wave goodbye to the cold and dreary.

cheers
Fi

Curlew Country said...

Thanks Fi that's really kind. I follow a few Australian Instagram feeds and I can't get my head around your Spring flowers being out! Enjoy your new season xxx

Curlew Country said...

Oh that's the only way I reckon Emma -tea and cake! I find garden visiting really i spring and restful in so many ways. So many beautiful things to see :) xx

Curlew Country said...

Oh I definitely need more asters! Only got a couple. What's that tiny one? Frikatti Monch? I lust after that!

So many gorgeous gardens near you. Next time I'm in Cornwall I need a garden visit - dragging whingy boys behind me no doubt! Xx

Curlew Country said...

Oh that's definitely half the joy isn't it! I just cram in more plants so the weeds don't get much of a chance! X

Curlew Country said...

Thanks Karen. I loved these borders because I think you can just take a little section and replicate it at home. I bought their plant list for 50p - need to save some pennies and go shopping! Xx