Friday 12 December 2014

Advent Adventures #2

Apologies if you follow me on Instagram and have seen these pictures all before! My camera is gathering dust at the moment with a fault so my trusty phone is tracking my seasonal wanderings and will have to do for now.

Advent is marching on isn't it. Life is getting busier but it feels exciting and full of anticipation. The steam railway at the end of our road is doing a roaring trade with its Santa Express and looks magnificent.

This year I have a ten day break from the office, precious days to spend with special friends and lovely family. I feel very fortunate to be in that position and it means an awful a lot to me x

So as you can imagine there are rather a few things on the wish list and a few achieved already:

:: visiting the man himself at our local National Trust estate at Ilam Park near Dovedale.  It was a foul winter's day with snow in the air and mobbed by field fares and red wings. I adored it!  Father Christmas was very jovial despite being so busy and even our 11 year old was transfixed. Joyous!

:: we discovered a new local pub in a neighbouring village that was total perfection. Roaring fire, friendly welcome and a delicious roast dinner. I can't imagine anything much better :)

Now I'm looking forward to;

:: feeding carrots to my lovely friend Helen's new pony 

:: a walk with my middle sister on the winter solstice to gather our greenery for wreath making and, a flying visit from my younger sister to swap presents.

:: the village carol service

:: a visit to the pantomime

:: a festive feast with our Buxton friends and a New Year's Day walk with all the kids, if the weather obliges.

Preparations beckon now though, wrapping and cleaning mostly! Hope yours are going well if you are too x

P.s hello to my new follower from just down the road *waves to Milton*. (where I went to school :) 

16 comments:

Lisa said...

Lots of lovely festive activities to keep you busy. Have fun!
Lisa x

CJ said...

What gorgeous winter photos, especially the one of the old church with the flat hill behind it, how intriguing. I'm glad you have a break from work, I do hope you have a really wonderful time. CJ xx

Curlew Country said...

Thanks CJ, that's at Ilam. The flat topped hill is called Thorpe Cloud and is where I stared my crazy cross run from a few weeks ago! Wishing you a lovely Christmas too x

VeggieMummy said...

Lovely photos - how special to have a steam railway near you. Your list of festive activities sounds wonderful. I hope you have a thoroughly relaxing break and a very Merry Christmas. x

Country Rabbit said...

merry christmas to you and your 3 kings ;) ...lovely advent pictures. you capture the moments so perfectly i love your mantel with festive foliage and the church ;)

Katy Noelle said...

It's always magic to visit you, Steph! I'm sure it just seems like 'life' to you but your posts always do my heart good! Have a beautiful holiday!! xo

SandyshoesCornwall said...

Hi Steph, sounds like a perfect Christmas calendar of delights! We were meant to be buying a Christmas tree today but as the sun was out we decided to sideline it in favour of a countryside walk, sliding down hills and chasing waves on the beach. Despite two young ones feeling under the weather it perked them up no end. I'm feeling more relaxed this year, hope you are too. Take care, Antonia x

Curlew Country said...

Oh Antonia that sounds smashing. Fresh air always perks my two up even with the sniffles.

I was inside wrapping today, it made me a bit bleary, should have gone for a run! Yes definitely a bit more relaxed this year and I'm making the most of it doing a bit of festive scrapbookng and watching River Cottage and the skiing. Off visiting my friends new pony in the morning and my teeny nephews, can't wait. Enjoy the rest of your weekend xxx

Sarah said...

Lovely photos, really capturing the season. The pub sounds a good find. Sadly all the good ones in our village seem to have closed and been turned into houses.
Your advent plans sound perfect. Have a wonderful December.
Sarah

Christals Creations said...

WHAT WONDERFUL THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO. WE HAVE A PRODUCTION, A CHRISTINGLE SERVICE AND A CAROL CONCERT ALL WITH TH SCHOOL THIS WEEK. :)

lilac and old roses said...

It is such a special time of year isn't it? We had a lovely community Carol Service in our village last night organised by our fantastic Young Farmers. And I've been non stop card writing, present making and wrapping today! So feeling festive too! The church in your photograph looks wonderful, Jane x

Sopa Azul said...

Lovely post!!! :)))

Tea with Prudence said...

Merry Christmas Steph
Gosh, that pub with the roast dinner and roaring fire sound wonderful. I was imagining myself cosied in there!

cheers
Fi

Gillian Roe said...

I love the sound of your festive plans during your time off, especially the wreath making - what a lovely thing to do on the winter solstice. And I like the look of that pub. x

Anonymous said...

Hi steph. Waving right back at you. Wishing you and your boys a wonderful Christmas. Jayne
Ps I went to sneyd street school but my son went to milton!

Amanda said...

Love the country pub, looks so cosy.