Sunday 11 January 2015

A Refreshing Start

Look! There's life outside despite it being so dank and dark. Not that I'm minding much. Seasons are what keep me going, they mark and celebrate the year, so darkness and chill during January are really just how things should be. Seeing the bulbs peep through though is massive cause for celebration.

I'm not one for giving things up in January, it's a time for comfort and cosiness but  I do rather like to try something new. My concession to the New Year health kick is to try and knock back my sugary coffees and teas (I'm surely the only person left who still takes it!) -  but gosh it's hard. 

Instead of total abstinence I'm reducing my number of mugs and replacing them with a new found friendship with fruit and herbal teas. The Dorset Tea Company kindly offered me a chance to sample some of their delicious range of teas and fruit infusions which was quite timely for me and I've been making some lovely discoveries. 
(note - teapot not required but I wanted to show off my bargain, charity shop Saddler pot. I love it!)

Based in beautiful Dorset where we've had such lovely holidays, the Dorset Tea Company has recently created this new range of fruit and herbal infusions and green teas inspired by the some of England's most gentle and beautiful scenery. Its also good to read they're a producer member of The Rain Forest Alliance.

So, my new regime features a morning boost of Wild About Mint, without doubt my favourite; a mix of peppermint and spearmint (and tingling nettle apparently) that I'm finding a totally different experience and very refreshing. Green tea is a completely new drink to me and one I've looked at with trepidation if I'm honest - but with added lemon it's rather uplifting and relaxing; if that's a possible combination?! 

Woody's sweet tooth has been captured by Strawberries and Cream as an afternoon pick me up. For a fella he can be a bit refined and the special Earl of Dorset blend is disappearing fast. 
A handy flask is making my herbal habit very easy to keep up too. When I'm busy in the borders I like to top up my brew and I found today this trick works even better with herbal teas (lack of milk) and means you're not faced with that lukewarm disappointment that's the curse of the gardener's cuppa.

I've also taken to popping a few bags and a couple of flasks in the back of the car and a warm fruity or herbal choice was very popular after our blustery New Year's Day walk with this lovely bunch. They just reminded me that I really need to remember biscuits too next time - not quite so good for my sugar detox!
So have you picked up a new habit for the year to come? I'd love to know xx

21 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

They look delicious! Great photography too..... :) xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm just trying to get running. I think your right, one habit at a time to change. You garden is coming alive ~~ so inspiring! I love the tea ideas too.

Sherri said...

Hi Steph, I am trying to be more productive this year with baking, gardening and making things. I also want to develop a routine that really works well for me. Love the photos. It is so hot and humid here and in your photo everyone looks rugged up to the max in their winter clothes. Our winters are so mild compared to yours. I don’t even need to wear a coat or jacket during the day in winter, a light cardigan suffices for the cool periods of the morning and evening.

VeggieMummy said...

Some of those teas sound delicious. Unfortunately, I can't tolerate caffeinated drinks anymore - they give me palpitations - so I'm always on the lookout for a good alternative and these sound ideal. Your walking group look a lovely bunch. x

CJ said...

They sound lovely. I love January too, despite the low light, it's a month of energy and new starts. Wonderful. CJ xx

helloitsgemma said...

Love the pot. *shoves up hand* am still addicted to sugar in tea. It is a comfort. But I also feel like the last person, so often people make me tea and assume no sugar and I have to ask "do you mind if I have some sugar?" Then they reach for the sugar from a high shelf, or the back of a cupboard! it's almost disapproving.
I am the grubby sugar taker!
Lovely post, I too and on the herbal teas, to counter all the sugar consumed at Christmas, chocolates, puddings, cakes etc and the more time I spend in time the more tea I drink!

Irene said...

A brilliant post, I too love the seasons and Nature. I've drank
Green Tea for a number of years
and can recommend it, I'm off to take a look at The Dorset Tea Company.

Love, love your tea pot.

irene
xxxx

Unknown said...

Today I started my own detox programme, juicing vegetables and fruit and mainly eating raw food. I also have a sugar addiction, sugar in my tea! But I am hoping that through this I might just curb my yearnings for sugar! Love drinking fruit teas but I do miss a good cuppa made with milk and sugar! Sharon

driftwood said...

trying new things is a great mantra for January. and tea. tea is always good x

Curlew Country said...

Hope it goes well Carrie. Best advice I had was to go your own pace. Really helped. Thanks for lovely comment. X

Curlew Country said...

That's sounds a great goal Tobe more productive x still wintry here, snow fell overnight. Hope it's not too warm for you. Thanks for popping by x

Curlew Country said...

They are good honestly. I've shared some at work and had good reports from colleagues too. Our walking friends are lovely parents we met though baby club years ago and you're right they are a lovely bunch. Thanks x

Curlew Country said...

Hurrah a fellow confessor!! Honestly sometimes people react like I'm mainlining hard drugs when I ask for sugar and I really know that disapproving look! When I see you again a massive sugary tea is on me :)

Hope your New Year is going well x

Curlew Country said...

Thank you Irene x I saw the teapot in a window and just had to go back for it, not bad for £3.50 My grandma collected Saddler Ware and they made similar designs in the potbank where she worked. My grandad was a teapot maker too.

Thanks for stopping by to say hello x

Curlew Country said...

Wow that's impressive Sharon!and another sugar addict - hello! Hope your detox is a help. Thanks for commenting x

Curlew Country said...

You're right, I think tea is the answer to everything x happy New Year x

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, the teas sound lovely and I've been admiring your tea pot too. I was interested to hear that your grandparents were involved in making them - we are very into our Staffs china here!

Curlew Country said...

That's good to hear Helen. My grandad made the traditional brown Betty's with the coloured bands around the middle. My grandma stuck the handles on! He made a giant one once with two spouts to use at functions - he always reckoned the skill was making sure they poured well and wouldn't stand for a spout that dripped!

Hoping you have a lovely weekend xx

pat said...

Try as I may, I just can't take to herbal and fruity teas! I got a gift pack from my daughter for Christmas, Rooibos and Green Tea made by a local brand Annique .. at last I have found a healthy tea that I quite like .. so this year I am really going to give this tea, weak, black and unsweetened (Oh my word, that sounds too dismal) but it's nice that way, a huge big try. For the colder months, I am going to add a little nib of fresh ginger and a squeeze of lemon to my early morning cup! (btw I live in SA)

Lilly's Mom said...

I love your new teapot and the teas sound wonderful to sip on a cold winter's night. You have a lovely blog.

...Nina Nixon... said...

Tea, glorious tea!

I loved sharing a brew from your Dorset tea collection yesterday, thank you so much for inviting us.

Of course it had to be green for me, but even hubby declared the dorset grey was one of the nicest (and best) he'd tried. And that's from a fussy bloke!

Hope to catch up again soon and even more hopefully over some snow.

Nina x