Wednesday 23 April 2014

Working Our Way to 11 & 3/4



It was just my smallest boy and me today messing about in the woods. His big brother is a bit under the weather so stayed at home with his dad while he worked.

So before the rain came Archie and I headed to a lovely woodland opposite my childhood home and it brought back some brilliant memories. I was so pleased to see it's now a designated nature reserve and is really well looked after with a friends society too. There are a couple of lovely trails, a wetland area, bat boxes, heathland and some fabulous broadleaf trees including black poplars. I hadn't realised it used to be a tree nursery in Victorian times and there are still some great specimens. 

He just loves to run about this boy of mine and seeing him climb and clamber over everything was a joy. When I was little this was The Enchanted Wood for me and I think maybe now it is for him too, which feels lovely.

Archie's working his way through the National Trust's 50 Things To Do Before You're 11 & 3/4 list and really enjoying it. Lots of the things on there we've maybe already done but looking forward to doing again this summer. A kid with a list is a summer of fun I reckon. 

5 comments:

Mum said...

I've still got a few more things to do on that list. Can we make it 50 things to do before you're 61 and 3/4?
Love from Mum :)
xx

sweetbriardreams said...

What a great list to work to. It certainly keeps them active. I loved it when my two were this age, they changed over night once they reached 13. Have a wonderful week x

Frances said...

Your words and the photographs of Archie have brought back many wonderful childhood memories of my own. Climbing trees in a forest very near my home. Bliss! No fear and great views and lots to feed young imaginations.

Thank you! xo

Acornmoon said...

Hello, your recent post reminded me of happy days I spent with our two boys in Staffordshire. Simple pleasures, climbing trees, collecting things....happy days.

Pat said...

Lovely post .. I looked at the link, it's wonderful, well done Archie!