Sunday 26 October 2014

Down by the Dove

We headed over the Weaver Hills late this Sunday afternoon to buy pumpkins at the farm shop and stroll along the river bank.

It's an afternoon that will stay with me for such a long time. A stiff breeze, tumbling rooks, the boys wheeling and whirling and the light fading fast (hence the not brilliant quality photos). I could taste the atmosphere, if only I could have bottled it. Autumn texture and faded colour all around us.
There was a fly fishing match on and we chatted to a couple of happy fishermen, wending their way home after a successful day.

The fields of stubble were showing a hint of green and bordered by skeletons of hogweed, some have come home with us to sit in a huge jug on the mantelpiece. 

I'm joining in with Nina's (www.ninanixon.blogspot.com) #wanderandgather link. The perfect join up if you too are the type never to come home without an empty pocket, always stuffed with nature's treasures!
Quicker than we thought the light slipped away on this afternoon after our clocks have fallen back. There couldn't have been a more perfect couple of hours I don't think and the only way to finish it off was to scurry home, stick on a roast and prepare to slump! 

Hope you've enjoyed your Sunday x

20 comments:

VeggieMummy said...

Beautiful photos - what a wonderful way to spend an Autumn afternoon. Have fun with your pumpkins at Hallowe'en! x

Unknown said...

I love walks in Autumn! And that gate into the feild is so neat looking! This is so my favorite time of the year!
Jenn

Unknown said...

Gorgeous walk, I need to get out more!

Leanne said...

You live in such a gorgeous area. I am forever bringing armfuls of the the hedgerows back with me. I love it's stripped back beauty.
Leanne xx

Alison said...

What a lovely Sunday, sounds a perfect day x

SandyshoesCornwall said...

Sounds like a great start to half-term, autumn has been very gentle this year and I'm starting to look more closely at colours and forms to appreciate how different it is from other seasons. I've been really enjoying your instagram feed too, you've got a very good eye for colour x

mano said...

really a beautiful walk!

Frances said...

Steph, how beautifully you've captured and been able to share with the rest of us, this particular part of our world on a particular afternoon, when official time change was trying to blend with the sun's arc.

I'm vicariously enjoying the beauty of that hogweed that you've now got in the jug on your mantlepiece. It's a lovely way to remember this special time, along with your very fine, sort of burnished, photographs.

I've no mantlepiece, no hogweed available to gather, but through this post, I have gathered rich images, and I thank you so very much.

xo

CJ said...

Lovely photos, you've captured the autumn atmosphere beautifully. CJ xx

Curlew Country said...

Oh Frances I appreciate your kind and eloquent words so very much. Thank you. You put into words so wonderfully the exact atmosphere I was hoping to convey. Do hope life is treating you well xx

Curlew Country said...

Thanks Antonia, you're ever so kind. Just remember I owe you some recipes! Will try and get tat sorted pro to. How's the balmy autumn treating you down there? So very sad to hear about the dreadful incident at Mawgan Porth. How dreadful :( hope life with you and yours is good xx

Curlew Country said...

Likewise Leanne :) there's nothing like proper nature on your mantelpiece is there? I'm eyeing up rise hips and holly for Christmas. Thinking of you often btw - take care xx

Curlew Country said...

The weather is being ever so good to us isn't it, what a great season were having x

Curlew Country said...

Thanks x bit concerned if we carve them too early they'll go off in this warm weather - feels a bit odd!

Curlew Country said...

It's a kissing gate I think - not that I got one but I live in hope! Absolutely my favourite time of year too x

Curlew Country said...

Thank you, so lucky to have it so close to home. Thank you x

Curlew Country said...

Thanks CJ, I'll treasure it for long time. I must go np back in springtime x

SandyshoesCornwall said...

I'm not logged in to Instagram so just wanted to wish you a great belated birthday, hope you blog about it, Antonia x

helloitsgemma said...

oh beautiful - I am inclined not to leave the house on a Sunday at this time of year, but your photos might tempt me to get into the countryside.

Janice Kay Schaub said...

The countryside looks beautiful. Thank you, I miss the Autumn in England and walking in the woods and fields
Janice