Monday 13 October 2014

Keeping Going

This season of my dreams is settling rather nicely around our valley. This morning I got up while the fog still shrouded our village with the idea of getting in a long run (well long for me!), so that I can try and keep my fitness levels up now that it's too dark for me to get out before work. But mostly I wanted to enjoy the landscape.

I work in an office all week, overlooking town centre rooftops with a view of a church, two trees and if I'm really lucky, the occasional sight of a peregrine falcon who roosts on the clock tower. Now this, undoubtedly, is brilliant but I feel cooped up, claustrophobic and hemmed in - I need to see the horizon! 

Running is just brilliant for that. I get to enjoy the scenery in a way I can't by walking on my own; why is it such a wierd thing, as a woman, to go for a walk on your own, without a dog? Or is that just me? 
Heavy fog cloaked everything this morning and I wondered if I'd see a thing. But once I climbed up towards the village on the ridge, the sun broke through in the most beautiful golden shafts.
It was fantastic to be out, listening to the jays and jackdaws call, enjoying that damp scent of the woodland and the misty lanes. It was an eventful run too. A nice couple walking their dogs helped me rescue a young bullock that had strayed onto the road and we shooed him back into a field before there was a crash!

Seven miles, up hill and down the lanes, and an hour or so that will keep me topped up all week xx

21 comments:

Leanne said...

That sounds like my kind of a run Steph! The countryside looks stunning where you live.
Leanne xx

Curlew Country said...

Thanks Leanne. This bit of Staffordshire is on the southern edge of the Peak District and there's a big campaign to get it AONB status. I reckon it deserves it. Xx

Mary said...

I love this line, "The season of my dreams...." Autumn is my favorite time of year, too. And I also love what you wrote last year - "There's something about autumn that completely captivates me... This is the time when I almost want time to stop, or slow right down so I can enjoy every change, every day,...." Well said!

Curlew Country said...

Oh thanks Mary that's so kind, really nice to know you've enjoyed my ramblings! There's a certain atmosphere in October & November isn't there that you don't feel the rest of the year. I love it and so great to hear from another autumn lover. Thanks for commenting xxx

Sue said...

Fab photo's Steph' and well done on your contiued running I admire anyone who still goes out no matter what the weather Keep it up
Best Wishes
Sue xxx

VeggieMummy said...

Beautiful photos. Seven miles - I'm really impressed; well done you. x

mondoagogo said...

Gorgeous photos! And no, it's not just you who gets funny looks for walking without a dog, I get them all the time on my local bit of (semi)wilderness, Hampstead Heath, especially whenever I stray off the main paths, because only weirdos do that of course!

Claire/Just a little less said...

Running is as much about stretching your eyes and mind as it is your legs. Beautiful xo

driftwood said...

truly beautiful photos Steph, and well done for keeping up the running!

Country Rabbit said...

You capture the landscape around you sooo beautifully. often, like you, from work look out onto high rise buildings and a lovely church steeple , sadly no Peregrine falcon to view, but plenty of in land seagulls hehe... I often walk alone, i guess being a single parent i kind of have to, but you do get used to feeling its 'ok, to be a woman and out a lone'. but for a while it took some getting used to. A bit like a woman going for a pint on her own at a pub~ A man can easily, but a woman would feel out of place on her own with a drink. I have started dating a lovely chap and its wonderful to now share the country with someone. though ive found i hardly take any pics because i am too busy chatting away about the views and what we see. I often think Autumns darker, misty mornings are the best sights in my eyes. recently i went to a lovely nature reserve and the mist hung gently above the water... the ducks and geese and swans looked hauntingly like ghosts an amazing sight. xx

Unknown said...

Just no comparison to a sweaty gym is it, just being out in the fresh air, seeing horizons, surrounded by nature - brilliant for body and soul, could not agree more! Getting a dog has been brilliant for getting a daily dose of green exercise! x

Cait O'Connor said...

Stunning autumn pics.

Down by the sea said...

A fantastic morning to go out for a run, it looks so beautiful! Sarah x

Justine said...

Beautiful photos! Oh, how I love Autumn, too.

SandyshoesCornwall said...

Heavenly pictures, you've set the mood perfectly and I love joining you on your jog. Hope to see more of your journeys. I'm so impressed that you're now running up to seven miles, that sounds mammoth to me! x

Deb said...

Lovely photos!
Have enjoyed reading through some of your older posts steph.

Happy Homebird said...

Such lovely pictures, what a place to run around. It would certainly make exercise pleasurable.

Gillian Roe said...

Your local area is absolutely beautiful, and it looks extra lovely in the autumn mist. My run from the front door takes me all around roads and houses, it's very built up. But this view might persuade me to run a little more often! x

Esther Aliu said...

What a gorgeous time of year you've captured, it all looks so beautiful, thank you for sharing it with us, I just love seeing new places :)

Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred said...

Your pictures are so lovely!

Cream Linen said...

Lovely pictures . I love this early morning scenery and autmnal beauty.
Greetings from Greece.
Tina