Sunday 26 April 2009

Off!

Months have crawled by. Rain and snow have lashed down. We have been very busy. But finally, finally it has come.


Daytimes and evenings are crammed with tracking down essential items, endless rounds of laundry and making arrangements for cat feeding and plant watering.

Maps are being studied, suitcases lugged down from the loft and lots and lots of exciting day dreaming is going on.
Oh joy, oh rapture! We are going to Cornwall!

Once every couple of years I persuade Woody that the south-west it just must be for a week away, unless he wants to live with a miserable, weeping soul who simply must see the sea that is.
And it must be the Cornish sea, or at the very least the south-western coast. All our childhood holidays were spent in this corner of England and it will hold my heart forever.
There are plenty of other places I adore; the majestic Lake District, the heart-soaringly beautiful Yorkshire Dales, the charming Cotswolds, but it is the magic of Cornwall that beats them all for me.
Woody on the other hand grew up on the coast, albeit the west Lancashire bit, so for him summer holidays mean things like green fields and arduous mountain climbs, but for me the perfect holiday destination needs these three things:

1) Harbours - a complete must, with jaunty fishing boats, gulls and lobster pots please.



2) Coves - I like my beaches cosy and with lots of rock pools.

3) Fishermans' Cottages - preferably staying in one or else much time spent imagining life inside.


Now we're not actually off until Friday but I enjoy this panicky, will we be ready, shall I take Friday afternoon off to load the car bit, all very exciting too. We're staying here (very glamorous and rather modern indeed) on a press trip Woody has organised and I'm looking forward to being inland and discovering a bit more of Cornwall away from the sea.
With antique shops, cafes and an ancient castle we can't really go wrong. (I'm not even going to mention the weather.)
So I'll be back in a week or so - you can't believe how excited we are! Happy holiday weekend to all.

Edited to add - I'm getting spamed via the comments link at the mo, so for the time being messages they won't be automatically posted I'm afriad. It should give me a chance to delete the rubbish! Thanks so much. Hav a lovely week.

29 comments:

Cloudbusting said...

Have a wonderful time..Cornwall was one of my favourite places on our UK holiday. Hope the weather does the right thing!

Pipany said...

Oh yes I ccan Steph cos I live here and it's gorgeous! So glad you're having your Cornishh break again. Weather is all over the place, but when the sun is out it is HOT. xx

Hen said...

Hope you all have a wonderful time, Steph and that the sun shines for you. We've been to the Lostwithiel area, it's lovely.
Hen x

Emily said...

Cornwall is my absolute favorite! I highly recommend a visit to Cotehele (a National Trust property) if you haven't been - a beautiful house, magical gardens, and a lovely tea room on the Tamar. Enjoy your holidays!

Heidi said...

Og Steph! For someone living in warm & dry California, the areas of England you describe, & show photos of, are ones that only exist in my most wonderful "dreams"!!! Have a lovely, lovely time!!!.....Your friend, Heidi XO

Brenda Kula said...

What a picturesque place to visit! You have fun. We'll be waiting for you when you return.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful time, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather stays good for you. I hope you show us your holiday snaps!
Have a good night.
Take Care
Melanie xx

Serenata said...

Oh I can imagine how excited you are as we are off to Cornwall for a week in July and I am already so excited - haven't had a holiday since 2005!

Sue at Dollytub Cottage said...

Cornwall - you lucky thing! When I go there, I look at the view and it's one of the few times in life I am left speechless! SueX

periwinkle said...

wow, looks fantastic. Hope you have a lovely time , look forward to seeing many pics when you get back :-)
lisa x

Karen said...

Hope you have a lovely time Steph. We stay in a cottage at Lerryn most years and this area just south of Lostwithiel is very beautiful. Your boys will love the Bodinnick Ferry and Restormel Castle and the beautiful town of Fowey is another wonderful place to visit. Karenx

Anonymous said...

hope you have the most fantastic time it looks like you wil

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I was just wondering, do you know of anyone who is looking for a swap partner? I am longing to join in on this swapping lark, so any help you could give me would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks So Much
Melanie xx

Joshy and belle said...

Hope you have a lovely time, we're off to St Ives in June, we go every couple years, I love being in Cornwall, also love the painting in your first photo.
felicity xx

Anonymous said...

I hope you all have a lovely time. I enjoyed your photos as they reminded me somewhat of my youth.
I grew up in Brixham the queen fishing port of the south of Devon. My family were either fishermen or Royal Navy, so the sea is in my blood.
Say hello to Cousin Jack from Cousin Jan
Tavistock! The city that never sleeps. lol!

Rosie said...

Have a wonderful holiday, Steph - like you I love Cornwall and have so many memories of happy childhood holidays there - I love the fishermen's cottages, and the harbours, bays and rock pools:)

nikinpos said...

Sounds wonderful. I live in a place similar to Cornwall in looks but oh so different in reality. I often wonder how different life would be there! Have a great trip.

Taking Notes said...

Have a wonderful time.. Cornwall is one of my favourite places in the UK too. I recommend a visit to NT property Llanhydrock (that is if you haven't been there already!).
The Lost Gardens at Heligan are magical ...
Jeanne

Faye 'Country Chic' said...

Hi Steph, I love the boat painting. I long to go for a holiday to Cornwall as I have not yet been there. Our love of Norfolk is always top of the holiday list. That then Kent to visit our family and lots of National Trust properties... oh bliss I can't wait. I will just have to look at you lovely blog for more pictures of Cornwall until we get chance to visit it.
Warm wishes,
xFaye

Aqeela said...

Cornwall is the best place ive ever visited, my dad and his family live there in St Austell so thats part of the reason why i love it, but just Cornwall itself - the scenery, the atmosphere, its just perfect. My husband says that my face just lights up everytime i hear anything at all to do with Cornwall. We are also hoping to stay in Lostwithiel this july, please do come back and tell us all about it!

Aqeela xx

prettyshabby said...

Steph have a fantastic holiday..i have very fond memories of annual Cornish holidays in the 70s, you've just described on your blog 'that' Cornwall I remember so well, I can even remember the lovely smell the gift shops full of shells and sea urchins have down there! have fun! xx

Mary said...

England is my favorite vacation destination of all time--I love your country village photos--it makes me long for a trip. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I am hosting a swap over on my site if you would like to join, please feel free to pop over and take a look.
Take Care
Love Melanie xxx

Country Bliss said...

Lostwithiel is quite close to me. You must try and visit Lanhydrock house, it's nearby, a National trust property and beautiful. Hopefully the sun will be out as it's been very hot. Have a lovely time.
Yvonne x

Garden Girl said...

hi steph, how funny, we just got back this afternoon from a week in St Ives- I wonder if we passed each other without realising?!
Weather was a bit rubbish but we still had a lovely break from everything-hope you did as well! I love Cornwall so much, it's definitely my favourite place to holiday.x

tracey said...

wow i have really enjoyed looking through your blog

rachel said...

I don't know anything about these parts of your great country so it is so interesting to read. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I am hosting a book swap over on my blog. It is a permanent feature, which will always be on my blog, it is not a one off, like the rose theme swap I'm hosting. I have listed a load of my books which I am willing to swap, take a look, there may be some you fancy. If you would like to list books which you no longer want, and are willing to swap, just contact me at rosehyacinth@hotmail.co.uk, or leave a comment on my blog, with your name, the name of your blog and the books you wish to swap, and I will type them up and post them on the swap page, so the more and more people who participate, the wider the range of books there will be to choose from, and remember, it will always be there on my blog.
Take Care
Love Melanie xxx

Angie said...

Your blog is so pretty, I like to read it because it is exactly what I imagine England to be like... your love of Cornwall is inspiring. I noticed one of your favorite things is medieval fiction. Have you read Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset? It is the best book ever, set in medieval Norway. Please read it:)