Summer days - very full and very busy. But these are special times to be savoured for when the wind is howling around the house.
There are sports days to cheer at and much picking of peas and digging potatoes to be done. And there are other people's glorious gardens to visit, to marvel at their planting skill, buy yet more plants and eat delicious cake in cool, bunting strewn barns.
Back home I set to; already it is time to cut back the geraniums and the catmint so it will flower again in late summer. Where is the year going? Later as the evening light mellows, there is time for sitting back and smelling the pinks, roses and peonies - and maybe munch a bit more cake!
Later still. although it's not fully dark, the sounds and sights of the summer night drift in through the bedroom window:
- The hiss and drip, drip of next door's hose
- A croaking frog in the border
- The lowing of young bullocks in the field over the road to the dairy herd in the valley field, already laid down to sleep
- Flittering, fluttering pipestrelle bats
- The occasional sleepy twitter from the housemartin chicks in the nest in the eaves above our window
- The rumble and clatter of lots of tractors and trailers and bright orange lights as the farmers bring the June hay home
- A sliver of sparkling moon in the still blue-tinged sky
- Chatter and laughter blown up of the breeze from the canal side pub down the lane
- Beautiful twilight and the first stars peeping awake
Summer is just the best. All relaxation and fun
What a beautiful post.......thank you x
Ah lovely! Your garden is what mine aspires to :-D.
How poetic you are! Aint Summer great!
Have a happy weekend.
This is a special time of year indeed.I wish I could put it into words in the lovely way you did in this post .
lovely post! you have a real talent with words!
great list of summer evening sounds...nice reminder to slow down and just listen :)
Beautiful post. I love your summer night sounds. Roses look so good with alchemilla molis don't they?
Lovely post and pretty flowers
A lovely post - my geraniums haven't even begun to flower yet !
How beautiful and evocative....blissful! x
so beautifully written I can feel I'm standing in your garden!
Such beautiful pictures, lovely post. I love watching the bats swooping down to catch the moths. I'm a real nature lover too xx
Such beautiful and evocative words and pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
So beautifully put Steph - I feel we are all slowing winding down....before it's time for the harvest that is!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
I've nothing clever to say. Just wanted to let you know that this was a beautiful post.
Steff, you really are quite wonderful! Do you know that? Right to the heart, you always go! I can't quite explain it but it's magic!
Love, katy xo
Your blog always makes me think of home, I love it. Thanks so much for the pure joy I get looking at the photo's and reading about your life, Maureen
A perfectly wonderful post :) xx
What a lovely post Steph and what a hot weekend we have had here in my corner of the world. Too hot to be comfortable during the day, but I do love the balmy evenings, listening to the blackbirds and watching for the first star to appear. Dev x
Post a Comment