Saturday 16 February 2013

Winter's End

Sunshine on a Saturday in February is such a precious thing isn't it? After yet more snow earlier in the week, and a two hour journey to travel 8 miles home from work, I'm ready to say goodbye to winter.
We went east today, into Cheshire for a change and took the boys to explore the playgrounds and parkland at Tatton. Its a lovely, gentle, peaceful estate and we pop back every couple of years to see the deer and ride bikes along the tracks.

The woodland is a fun place to be with branches and supports left around for den building; just the thing for boys kept cooped up over the past few weekends.
The farm is a real step back in time with lots of wonderful rare breed cattle, horses, goats and pigs. Couldn't resist a look around the farm cottage and I was rushed straight into Land Girls in my head.

I loved the cosy setting and the attention to period detail but in February it was a cold, damp place and made me appreciate how hardy you needed to be and what a soft, pampered home I come from!
It was so good to feel the sun on our faces and the fresh air begin to blow winter away.
Not long left now, just a few short weeks and Spring, however cold and long it is, will be here with flowers, blossom and birdsong.

And more time for boys to play in the woods xxx

P.S Thank you so much for all your supportive and very moving comments on my last post. I appreciate you kind words and thoughtfulness so very muchxxx 


14 comments:

Nic said...

What lovely pictures, as always :)

Mrs H said...

The photos are lovely and make me want to visit taton park - hoping you had a lovely day and keep positive x

Frances said...

Thank you for taking your camera along on the visit to Taton Park.

You are so right in commenting that although those period rooms might look very cozy in photographs, the actual chilly dampness gives a realistic view.

I love the photo of the boys in the woods. How lucky I was to grow up near a small woodland, giving my friends and me endless possibilities to open up our imagination.

xo

{oc cottage} said...

always such gorgeous scenery! i love to visit!!!

m ^..^

Lyn said...

what beautiful, beautiful photographs. I love Tatton, so much to do there.
xxx

Plain Jane said...

You have caught the light beautifully with these pics. Roll on Spring x Jane

busybusybeejay said...

My grandchildren love Tatton particularly the maze.It is probably not at its best at this time of the year but well worth a visit in better weather.The playground is pretty good too.

Rebecca said...

What an enchanting place! Lovely to see the sun in the photographs, spring is on its way! x

Anonymous said...

Lovely pics !!

Vintage Jane said...

Looks a lovely place to visit. The farmhouse reminds me of my own home!! We have no central heating, only a woodburner in the kitchen and living room. Last night I had to go out and chop wood - by the time I had finished I was almost too warm to need to light the fire!!

Carol said...

Looks a grat place, lovely photos. Roll on Spring!

Carol xx

Angella Dee said...

I so enjoyed visiting your beautiful blog. exquisite!

Judy said...

I'm missing your photos and what you are up to. I hope things are going better.

faye said...

that is such a nice place=)