Thursday 12 July 2007

Joys of July




Its wet, dreary and feels more like the back-end of April than high summer so I thought I'd cheer myself up with some of my favourite things about July, even if the sun's not shining

Bunting - its everywhere at the moment heralding village fetes, well-dressings and carnivals. This is Hathersage on my way home from work and its carnival on Saturday.

Soft fruit - we're eating strawbs or rasps everyday. The fruit & veg stall at Leek market is selling some delicious varieties. Mmmmm...

Twilight - the late evenings when the rain relents is beautiful.

The Virtual Sales - I've picked up some lovely items from my favourite on-line stores at a fraction of the full cost. Great for my tight budget and no shopping rage - complete bargain.

Summer rain - well not quite this much but there's something special about the sort of vertical, hammering showers that you only get in summer. Everything looks so beautifully green and vibrant.

Hedgerows - around the Moorlands (thanks to the damp weather) hedgerows lining the lanes are full of wildflowers that have lasted for ages. Foxgloves, meadow sweet and elderflower are some of my favourite still blooming their hearts out.

Holidays - we got away early this year as Barney starts school in September. Had a fabulous week in Port Isaac, North Cornwall. Fell in love with this charming little fishing village. I can't wait to take the boys back when they're a little bigger and can enjoy the surf.

No comments: